What's happening with the Messicks

The boring and sometimes not as boring life we live.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

More updates..

First of all we have gotten word that our stuff should be delivered tomorrow, yeah!!! I just have to say I love how our church works. I called someone I met at church and figured I would be able to borrow a few things before we went out to buy duplicate of things we don't need. That afternoon I had 4 people show up to deliver everything we could use and had several others call and offer and ask what we would need. We got futons to sleep on, camping chairs folding chairs, a copule of tables and our saving grace was that we had bought the old owners Tvs, iron ironing board, and a few kitchen items. We did a quick trip to IKEA and we were set. We also got invited to someones house for dinner Sunday night. The funny thing is her got sick so she called and made arrangements for someone else to feed us. It was awesome chicken, green beans, baked potatoes, a green salad, homemade rolls and to finish it off homemade brownies that were really good(I have been trying to find a recipe that compares to a brownie mix since they are $7 here). Nothing like a good "western meal". Then monday some else brought us some chicken noodle soup, chips (Tostitos Tysons favorite, which probably cost at least $7 also) and a salsa made similar to a black bean and corn salsa I used to make. For desert she had made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies she make with a spice cake that she had hand delivered from the states from her trip home this summer. I love a lot of the local food but it was nice to have some things that are more like home.

Hot Dogs!!
Something that is really popular here but they are chicken. When we were at the Apartment they had them at the breakfast and chilli sauce to serve with them. I hadn't seen any beef hot dogs, the chicken ones just don't look right. Anyway we have this guy that just calls you every morning to see if you want any groceries and he will go where ever he needs to and get it for you, if it is on the island. He doesn't charge for his service but he marks up his prices, but not to much to take into consideration what you would have to go through to find the item yourself. He came by yesterday to introduce himself and someone was here dropping something off and said "I heard you can get beef hot dogs" I said get me 2 packs and some mustard (we already had ketchup to go with the nuggets I had found). So today he dropped off hot dogs (2 packs of 8) and a bottle of French's mustard (he know the brands that most Americans like so he will get them unless you tell him to get you more local which is cheaper) which cost me just over $20. He keeps a tab and you pay him at the end of the month. I want to try to keep shopping on my own most of the time because I want the excercise. Another weird thing, the hotdog buns come in a pack of 4 and aren't pre-sliced, I bought some lunch meat for Ashton which was pre-cut either which I didn't relize until I opened it to make his sandwhich.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

So it that how the price of living is so different? The food is astronomical?

August 19, 2008 at 11:53 PM  
Blogger Springers said...

Hot dogs is what you are missing huh? Who would have thought?

August 21, 2008 at 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home