What's happening with the Messicks

The boring and sometimes not as boring life we live.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Middle of China

This is Tyson – I went to China about a week ago for work, I went in the middle nowhere and had to take a car about 2 hours from the airport to a small (by china standards) industrial town. There were only 3.7 million people that lived in the town and it was not even big enough to have their own airport, thus the reason for 2 hour ride by car from the nearest airport. I only stayed for a couple of days. I will post a few pictures of things with some comments.




In by the area that Mao started the Cultural Revolution in China.


Typical Scene from by the side of a River


Dinner anybody -- this was some kind of catfish with feet -- good for me that he cost to much to actually have on my plate -- however I probably ate his cousin or something??


This was the dinner room we ate at one evening -- it was pretty fancy and on the menu were some new items that I tried such as tripe (cow intestines) and picked pig ear, yes it is real a pickled pig ear, not just some made up name.


So after dinner, I was booked for a massage -- this is the way most of the trip went -- I did not have clue what was going on until it actually happened -- so I just went with the flow -- I was booked so I went and got a 1 hour foot bath/massage then a 1 hour full body massage. Massages are very big deal in Asia as it promotes well being and good health, the massage place in the hotel was open until 1 am and I got done about 11:00 pm, then I had to pay -- so someone else booked the time, but I still had to pay -- I figured the rate was not going to be very cheap -- so I got to the cashier and it was $120 RMB -- which equals about $17 USD -- It was crazy, a 2 hour massage for 17 bucks!!!




4 Comments:

Blogger JaNae said...

Man, you guys are so brave. I can't believe what your willing to try. Dinner sounds yummy! Oh, but sign me up for the $17 massage!

October 28, 2008 at 6:28 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Um, it costs more for a 20 minute pedicure than it does for that 2 hour massage. And they think they're giving you a deal! I can't believe it. You forgot to say wether you liked the Tripe and Pickled Pigs Ear! What did it taste like and what was the texture?

October 28, 2008 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Wow your life is hard ... $17 for a massage for 2 hours. I think I pay $40 for an hour pedi and $70 an hour for a massage.... I do not get a massage often.

October 28, 2008 at 9:59 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Don't you just love China!

October 29, 2008 at 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home