What's happening with the Messicks

The boring and sometimes not as boring life we live.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Outings with Tammy

While Tammy was here we took turns with the adults going out since we discovered it wasn't so pleasant with the kids unless we were at McDonalds or Burger King. Who wants to come all the way to Singapore where they are well known for their food and go to MD or BK. Tammy and I went to a conveyor belt Sushi bar. They are constantly making fresh sushi and putting it on colored plates which are priced according to their color. So you watch as they go by and decide what you want. It was fun and we tried quite a bit. We actually went there the first day that both boys were in school(that's why we have Collin). This was nice because we were there early enough that the lunch crowd hadn't gotten there yet so we felt comfortable calling over the waiter and asking him what everything was whenever we had questions. I like sushi but I am actually a little shy as to what I have. I am actually not big on the raw fish kind (contrary to what many believe sushi doesn't have to be raw fish). It is fun going out with Tam because we are very similar in our taste and adventure.
On our evening out we went to this Moroccan restaurant(the weird looking things are hanging lights). We forgot our camera so we took pictures during another outing during the day time. I was sad because the ambiance was awesome. It would have been an awesome place for a romantic date, Tammy was the perfect date and well behaved.The food was also great. They also had something that looked similar to what you see the Caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland smoking. It smelt really good, kind of fruity but we didn't try it, we weren't that adventurous. The one thing we were disappointed about was you didn't sit on the floor and eat with your hands like we had seen in the movies (Sabrina and Along came Polly were the specific movies we remembered, both meals were dates). I had always envisioned my first Moroccan meal without silverware or chairs but it was a great experience anyway.
While Tam was here we wanted her to experience things besides the temporary housing. Tys took her to Little China and I took her to Little India. While in little India we did go to a wet market. This is where locals buy and sell things usually a little cheaper. This is also where you can buy very fresh food, both produce and meat. We felt uncomfortable taking pictures. It was very raw, as you walked through very narrow walk ways you could easily get sprayed with who knows what (pig, poultry, beef or fish blood and guts) as they hacked away at the meats. It was disgusting, it smelled bad and overall something I'll never forget. We both loved it!! This is another reason I could really travel with Tammy. We just felt like we got to experience Real things not just the tourist scene (note:even though it is very fresh I don't know if I could ever buy meat in this fashion). We also happened to find what we felt was similar to almost a huge garage sale. Some people were selling goods like purses, wallet, jewelry and electronics. But then some were selling used shoes, clothes, appliances. We found it funny the graveyard of random remotes, how many does he really sale? there is a picture in the upper left corner of the collage. The Indians are very into their gods and can create some very detailed buildings for worship which are quite amazing. I also have a few pictures of those. I just like the stair case on a building so that is just a random picture in my collage. Basically I just really enjoyed touring with Tam. I hope she comes back before we leave so we can do more traveling together. We all love her.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica South said...

wow seems like a lot of fun. Love looking at your blog!

September 30, 2008 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I love traveling with you too Natt! You are so easy going and so fun to explore with. Thanks for your write-up!

September 30, 2008 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger lynette said...

Hello from Chile! I'm and LDS American and our family is finishing our assignment in Chile and moving to Singapore at the end of the month. My friend, Heidi, read my post about our upcoming move and gave me your blog address! It's exciting to see what's in store for us!

October 1, 2008 at 11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home